Frequently Asked Questions
Dental stem cells are adult stem cells (not embryonic stem cells) found in both, baby teeth and wisdom teeth. These cells contain mesenchymal cells, which have been shown to differentiate into bone, neural tissue, dental tissue, cartilage and muscle. They are being studied for applications in dentistry and medicine.
Different Types of mesenchymal stem cells:
* Chondrocytes are cells that have the ability to generate cartilage – which would have an important role in the treatment of arthritis and joint injuries.
* Osteoblasts are cells that have the ability to generate bone.
* Myocytes are cells that have the ability to repair damaged cardiac tissue following a heart attack.
More than 1000 research studies from institutions around the world have been published since the year 2000 that make reference to dental stem cells. In the year 2007 alone, over 1000 research articles were published on Dental Stem Cells. Additionally, over 60 clinical investigations with animals and human volunteers have been published seeking to identify potential new medical treatments from adult stem cells.
The baby teeth (incisors and canines) and wisdom teeth are the right teeth to extract as they are rich in adult stem cells. Except in cases of accident or trauma, the teeth are extracted to allow proper positioning. The dental pulp in baby teeth or wisdom tooth is rich in adult stem cells. The eruption of wisdom teeth is generally between 17 and 21 years. Generally, tooth eruption is earlier in girls than in boys. The teeth usually erupt in pairs, one on each side.
Dental pulp stem cell banking has the following advantages which are one of its kind:
* The time period for banking healthy dental stem cells is wide, since it can be done for children in the age group of 5-12 years and also for adults whose wisdom tooth is to be extracted.
* The collection of stem cells from the pulp of the tooth is easy, painless, quick, highly efficient, with no ethical complications, as it involves a simple process of extraction of the tooth.
* Dental stem cells are non-controversial adult stem cells, unlike embryonic stem cells, the source of which involves ethical issues.
* The dental stem cells have demonstrated interactivity with biomaterials, making them ideal for tissue reconstruction.
You can enroll on our website or you can call us on our TOLL FREE NO 1800-102-STEM (7836) and our executive will guide you. You can also write to us at email@example.com and we will get in touch with you shortly.
The dentist in our Stemade Smile Clinic places your recovered tooth in a specially designed dental sampling kit. The kit will protect your stem cells while they are transported to our state-of-art laboratory in Chennai. The pulp, containing the stem cells, will then be immediately extracted and evaluated for viable cells.
If viable cells are present, they will be cryogenically stored and supervised until needed. We will immediately contact you and provide you with a certificate of banking, which you should place with your family medical records for future use.
If viable cells are not present, they will not be stored and we will inform you immediately.
Our laboratory is equipped with the state-of-art cryogenic facilities. We have leased out storage space from Lifecell India at their Chennai facility. There are highly trained professionals in the ISO and AABB certified lab, thereby maintaining the highest scientific standards. So you can assure yourself that you will receive your stem cells whenever required.
Yes, if we find that the cells are not viable, then we will immediately refund you according to the refund scheme. Please contact Stemade at 1800-102-STEM (7836) or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As long as you are our member, we will store your dental stem cells.
In a nutshell, it can be stored for life.